16 May 2010

Somewhat Strident But Who Cares


Whilst doing my research for my project i came across a Facebook group called 'Somewhat strident but who cares' This is a group for people who often find the portrayal of women in the media one-sided, sexist, appearance obsessed and skewed. There is a website in which you download and print off stickers which can be used on your property to further campaign against destructive media imagery. They discourage illegal use of the stickers "especially not on the London Underground. That would be awful!" And instead creativity.

The stickers range from sayings such as, 'Comes with a free lobotomy!', 'Corporate Grooming', 'By women who hate women' and 'You are normal. This is not'. Even though they are clearly against using these stickers in public somehow some seem to have found their way to the Harley Medical Group adverts situated in the underground tube stations of London. I have to say, good on them, if i saw one of those stickers over a cosmetic surgery advert it would make me smile, instead of making me feel self conscious.

I decided to voice my opinions, on the recently viewed Boots advert which was inspiring my final project, on their group page. Hopefully it will bring it to the attention of people who may have missed it's hidden agenda or may not have seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment